Past Research and Writings
Performer creativity and agency
- What are the emotional, psychological, physical and artistic consequences for classical musicians' frequent lack of control over repertoire, work conditions, and more?
- What work processes can performers engage in that give them a greater sense of autonomy, agency, and creativity in their work?
- How can performers "curate themselves" and develop distinctive aesthetics and identities?
- How might the composer/performer divide dissolve, and could that be productive?
Issues of gender, race, and economic justice in artistic communities
- Published work in this area includes:
The happiness and well-being of artists
- How do artists cope with the tremendous economic pressures they face?
- Are creative people particularly susceptible to depression, anxiety and other mental health struggles?
- How do artists create their own happiness?
Bringing theory and practice together
- What accounts for the anemic cultural discourse about music in our print publications?
- How can musicology intermingle with non-academic discussions & dialogues?
- Is the division of labor between performer, composer, and critic a necessary division?
Mind, body, spirit and the musician
- What does it look like to integrate a yoga, meditation, or other spiritual practice with a musical one?
- How can musical performance help restore communal ritual and sacred space in our society?
- How might musicians' use of their bodies be traumatic or therapeutic?